SOL Challenge Day 8
With two challenges down, the quilt guild was ready for the next one. Yesterday I mentioned that this was my favorite. I need to explain that the challenge itself wasn’t necessarily my favorite, but what Kathy came up with to meet the challenge was. The guild president decided that tor the third challenge the ladies had to have 25 words in their project. She stipulated that this time the project didn’t necessarily have to be a quilt as long as there were 25 words in the finished piece.
Kathy never put words in or on a quilt so this was a bit of a challenge. Kathy is a cross stitcher as well as a quilter so for a time she kicked around doing something in cross stitch. It turned out that several ladies in the guild went this route. This project would be due for the October meeting. Almost a month had passed and Kathy had no idea what she was going to do. She even, like me with this challenge, thought about just not participating in this one.
However, as luck would have it, there was a big quilt show in Oaks, near Philadelphia in September. Of course we went. Of course we checked out all of the vendors. There, in one booth, was a fabric panel consisting of eight blocks containing a cat, something sewing related, and a caption for each picture. Kathy and I just looked at each other and said, “Quilt challenge!” Of course she bought the panel.
When we got home we looked at the different pictures and the words trying to decide which ones would work in the quilt. We counted words. There was no way that any combination of blocks came out to 25 words exactly. The closest we could get was 23. Here are three of the blocks just to give you an idea of what we were working with:
Kathy then had an idea. What if she gave the quilt a name and added those two words to the top? She decided to call the quilt “Kitty Wisdom” Bingo! She had her 25 words. The next step was to come up with a layout for the quilt. Putting one block next to another just didn’t do it for us. We both decided that there needed to be alternating blocks. Kathy thought a simple nine patch would work especially done in pastels that somewhat matched the background in each block. Going through her stash again we found fabrics that we thought would work. Kathy went to work cutting, piecing, and putting the top together. It was done and partially quilted, but not complete, by the October meeting. Luckily the president said that al long as the top was put together it still counted. The quilt top was completely quilted by the December meeting.
Here is what she came up with for this challenge and you can see why it is my favorite.
Tomorrow, the fourth and final challenge.